In Memoriam
John was a master woodworker, making everything from toys to cabinets and furniture. He was also a friend to the Amish community in Northeast Ohio. Throughout his Jesuit life, John had tremendous care for others.
In Memoriam: Fr. John A. Knapek, SJ

Let us pray in thanksgiving for the life of Fr. John A. Knapek, SJ, who died on October 17, 2015, at Colombiere Center in Clarkston, Mich. He was 93 years old, a Jesuit for 69 years, and a priest for 58 years.

 

John was born on March 5, 1922, in Natrona, Pa. He was a machinist in the U.S. Army during World War II and attended John Carroll University in University Heights, Ohio, for one year (1945-1946) before entering the Society of Jesus on September 1, 1946, at Milford, Ohio. He was ordained a priest on April 27, 1957 in Kurseong, India, and professed final vows on April 27, 1977 at John Carroll University.  


Upon entering the Society, John did his novitiate and juniorate in Milford, before being missioned to India, where he studied Hindi in Jamshedpur for a year (1949-1950), philosophy at Sacred Heart College in Shembaganur (1951-1954), and theology at St. Mary's College in Kurseong (1955-1958). John later studied clinical psychology and counseling at Loyola University Chicago (1967-1976), eventually obtaining a master's in counseling at Loyola in 1976. 


Though John entered the Chicago Province, he later became a member of the Patna Province in 1962, before transcribing to the Detroit Province in 1973. During his regency, he taught English and math at St. Xavier's High School in Patna, India (1954-1955). After his ordination, John served as assistant director of Loyola Industrial School in Kurgi, India (1959-1961). He then returned to the United States, serving in pastoral ministry at Saints Peter and Paul Jesuit Church in Detroit, Mich., and as minister at St. Stanislaus (now the Jesuit Retreat House of Cleveland) in Parma, Ohio (1964-1967). After obtaining his degrees in counseling, John served as a student counselor at John Carroll University (1976-1993), as well as subminister (1993-1994 and 2002-2009) and minister (1994-2002). He moved to Colombiere Center in 2009, where he performed community service.


John was a master woodworker, making everything from toys to cabinets and furniture. He was also a great friend to the Amish community in Northeast Ohio. Throughout his Jesuit life, John had tremendous care for others.



 





Recent News

May 28, 2020 — The global pandemic has forced everyone to go digital. Spiritual direction — confidential, guided discernment of God — has not stopped. Rather, just like the persons who employ the Exercises, spiritual direction has pivoted online.

May 25, 2020 — In two of the more memorable and simple ceremonies in recent history, one Jesuit was ordained a priest and five Jesuits were ordained deacons on May 23.

May 21, 2020 — The sterling efforts of the Patna Jesuits in responding to the situation arising out of the country-wide lock-down in the wake of the COVID-19 crisis are an image of hope in the midst of several resistances to outreach to the least, the last, and the lost (Matthew 25).

The Spring 2020 issue of Jesuits Magazine is now online. The cover story details the Invisible Infrastructure that is the underpinning of the Midwest Province's purpose and function. Plus, news from the frontiers, Jesuits on the Move, and more!

May 19, 2020 — A group of Ignatian colleagues in northeast Ohio are dedicated to sharing the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius. They developed a unique Ignatian Spirituality Collaborative to strengthen their practice and impact in the region.

May 18, 2020 — May marks the fifth anniversary of the publication of Laudato Si’. Through this landmark encyclical, Pope Francis called the Church and all people to transform our relationship with creation.

May 18, 2020 — Fr. Garanzini succeeds Fr. Michael J. Sheeran, SJ, beginning July 1.

view all news

Search news

Publications

Jesuits Spring 2020

Jesuits Fall Winter 2019

Jesuits Summer 2019



Creighton University Retreat Center
Located 45 miles east of Omaha, Neb., in rural Iowa, the Creighton University Retreat Center is situated on 154 wooded acres on the Nishnabotna River.