St. John’s Parish began in 1887 as St. John’s Collegiate Chapel on the campus of Creighton University in Omaha so that students would have a place to worship. In 1897, St. John’s was officially established as a parish church.
A series of expansions between 1920 and 1922 doubled the church’s capacity, and extensive interior work was completed. It wasn’t until 1977 that the east tower received a steeple and hands for its clock; in 1981, the church was designated as a city landmark.
In 2002, St. John’s Parish began its parish renewal, resulting in the development of an Adult Faith Formation program. The parish also offers spiritual direction and a library.
St. John’s parishioners are active in several social justice and peace ministries, including Human Rights Watch, Justice for Immigrants and Pax Christi.
St. John's Parish Partners program has established a relationship with two parishes on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation: Sacred Heart and Our Lady of the Sioux. The partnership includes a clothing and food drive and a yearly visit to the reservation in November.