Assignments of the Midwest Jesuits - Fall/Winter 2018
Fr. Brian Lehane, SJ, has been appointed to ministry at St. John’s Jesuit High School & Academy in Toledo, Ohio. He was previously a teacher of theology at the University of Detroit Jesuit High School and Academy.
Fr. James McCann, SJ, has been named the director of campus ministry at the Georgetown University Law School. He was previously senior vice president at the Gregorian University Foundation.
Fr. Thomas Pipp, SJ, has been named the rector at the John Carroll University community. This is in addition to his role as director of Ignatian formation, mission, and identity at John Carroll University.
1. Fr. James Strzok, SJ, director of development for St. Peter Claver High School and St. Ignatius Preparatory School in Dodoma, Tanzania.
2. Fr. Kevin Flaherty, SJ, spiritual director and psychological counselor at the Center for Ignatian Spirituality in Lima, Peru.
3. José Camacho, SJ, first-year regent at Platano y Caco in Villahermosa, Tabasco, Mexico.
4. Fr. Charles Rodrigues, SJ, director of Vinayalaya Retreat House in Mumbai, India.
5. Fr. Robert Geisinger, SJ, promotor for justice for the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith in Rome, Italy.
May 6, 2019 - When I was in the third grade at a Catholic primary school in suburban Maryland, I happened upon a book about St. Isaac Jogues, the 17th century Jesuit missionary, getting flogged, flayed, and having his fingers chewed off on a mission to “New France.” At the time I couldn’t for the life of me understand why someone would choose to go through such an ordeal! Fast forward twenty-some years later, and I am a Jesuit brother living with Jesuits from India, Ecuador, Tanzania, and Wisconsin.
April 29, 2019 — Ask someone who's benefited from a Jesuit education or ministry about the Jesuits’ contributions, and you’ll hear answers like “Jesuits form men and women for others,” “they help people discern God’s presence in their lives,” and "they serve God by caring for and seeking justice for people on the margins.” But we don’t always give thought to how the Jesuits themselves benefit from being in the Society.
April 23, 2019 — Let us pray in thanksgiving for the life of Fr. Theodore J. Hottinger, SJ, who died on April 22, 2019 at St. Camillus, in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. He was 87 years old. May he rest in peace.
April 21, 2019 — We turned to Twitter and challenged people to tell the story the resurrection of Jesus in exactly six words — no more. Boil the central truth of our faith down to its essence. What’s most important?