In Memoriam
Fr. Edward Konerman, SJ
“We are sure he is enjoying his reward for all he gave to us and to all throughout his life.” - S. Nora Hahn
In Memoriam: Fr. Edward Konerman, SJ, 1929-2012
Fr. Edward Konerman, SJ, who served as a Jesuit for 66 years, died on February 24, 2012. Fr. Konerman was born to Edward and Clara Mary (Bloemer) Konerman in Covington, Kentucky, on April 10, 1929. He is survived by three brothers.

After graduating from Covington Latin School in 1945, Fr. Konerman joined the Society of Jesus in Milford, Ohio, where he remained until 1949.  He received various degrees including a Ph.L. in philosophy (1952) and S.T.L. in theology (1959) from West Baden College in West Baden, Indiana. Fr. Konerman also earned a B.A. in Latin and Greek (1950) as well as an M.A. in philosophy and history (1956) from Loyola University Chicago. In 1966 he received his S.T.D. from Gregorian University in Rome. Fr. Konerman was ordained on June 18, 1958 at West Baden, Indiana, and professed final vows on February 2, 1964.

Among his many assignments, Fr. Konerman taught Theology to seminarians at St. Mary of the Lake Seminary (Mundelein, IL) from 1963-1985 and was the Praeses (chairman) of the ecclesiastical faculty from 1979-1985. In 1967 Fr. Konerman began assisting the Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish and remained there until 1988. From 1976-1996 Fr. Konerman was the secretary for the Catholic Theological Society of America. He also served as the Freshman Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences at Loyola University Chicago from 1986-1995 before spending a year as a coordinator for the NCAA life skills program at Loyola University.  Before moving to Colombiere Center in January 2012, Fr. Konerman was a chaplain for the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ (Donaldson, IN).

“He presented some wonderful forward thinking in Theology. During his 16 years as our chaplain he really called us to reflect on the Scriptures in a new way with up-to-date background, the fruit of his own study and research. He was also pastoral, assisting our Sisters and lay residents whenever there was a need day or night,” explained S. Nora Hahn, provincial of the Poor Handmaids. “We are sure he is enjoying his reward for all he gave to us and to all throughout his life.”

Memorial gifts 
Memorial gifts may be made to The Jesuits, 2050 N. Clark Street, Chicago, Illinois 60614. 
To make an online contribution, please click here







Recent News

August 21, 2018 – As we reckon with the Grand Jury report on sexual abuse by priests in Pennsylvania and the failures of bishops to protect the children entrusted to their care, our hearts and prayers—first and foremost—are with the victim-survivors.

January 21, 2019 — In honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, here are 31 of his inspirational quotes to help us remember the power of a vision and give us the courage to act upon our own dreams.

January 18, 2019 — Former college president brings extensive experience and commitment to innovative education models.

January 17, 2019 — Let us pray in thanksgiving for the life of Fr. Eugene F. Merz, SJ, who was called to eternal life on January 16, 2019, around 5:30 a.m. Gene died at Zilber Hospice in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. He was eighty-seven years old, a Jesuit for seventy years, and a priest for fifty-seven years.

January 16, 2019 — It was a homecoming fifty years in the making. In 2016, Fr. Casey Bukala, SJ, moved to the Colombiere Center near Detroit, where elder Jesuits live in community, receive the healthcare they need, and pray for the Church and the Society. It was not Fr. Bukala’s first time at Colombiere, however.

January 9, 2019 — Let us pray in thanksgiving for the life of Fr. John “Jack” R. Crocker, SJ, who died on Tuesday, January 8, 2019, at Colombiere Center in Clarkston, Michigan. He was 88 years old. May he rest in peace.

view all news

Search news

Publications

Jesuits Fall/Winter 2018

Jesuits Summer 2018

Jesuits Spring 2018



Jesuit Retreat House of Cleveland
Nestled in the urban landscape of Parma, Ohio, the Jesuit Retreat House of Cleveland is “a place of peace in the forest.”