William L. Mugan
Mugan, William L.
Jesuit Father William L. Mugan died on Jan. 30, 2014, at St. Camillus in Wauwatosa, Wis. He was 91 years old, a Jesuit for 71 years and a priest for 58 years.
William L. Mugan

Died 30 January 2014

Jesuit Father William L. Mugan died on Jan. 30, 2014, at St. Camillus in Wauwatosa, Wis. He was 91 years old, a Jesuit for 71 years and a priest for 58 years.

Born in Omaha, Neb., on Jan. 28, 1923, Fr. Mugan attended grade school and high school in Omaha and studied one year at Creighton University before entering the Society at St. Stanislaus Seminary, Florissant, Mo. He had the usual Jesuit course of studies at St. Stanislaus, Saint Louis University and St. Mary's College. He was ordained on June 16, 1955, made tertianship in Decatur, Ill., and pronounced his final vows on Aug. 15, 1958.

Fr. Mugan taught high school during regency, but after tertianship served mostly as a community minister and treasurer in a succession of Midwest Jesuit communities. He received training as a hospital chaplain and served for a number of years at St. Joseph's Hospital in Omaha and Mercy Hospital in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Finally, in 1992, Fr. Mugan was appointed Wisconsin Province Archivist. He was a natural in this position and worked in one capacity or another as an archivist in Milwaukee and St. Louis and even after he moved to St. Camillus in Wauwatosa.

Fr. Mugan loved being a Jesuit and a priest. He loved telling Jesuit stories and recounting the history of the Catholic Church in Omaha and Milwaukee. He was a quiet, steady presence in community and a wise community minister. He lived peacefully through years of change in both church and society.

Memorial Gifts      
Memorial gifts may be made to The Jesuits, 2050 N. Clark Street, Chicago, Illinois 60614.    
To make an online contribution, please click here   


In Memoriam
Publications

Jesuits Spring 2017

Jesuits Fall-Winter 2016

Jesuits Summer 2016





Jesuit Retreat House of Cleveland
Nestled in the urban landscape of Parma, Ohio, the Jesuit Retreat House of Cleveland is “a place of peace in the forest.”